12 January 2014

Single Sunday

Good morning chaps + chapettes, 

I'm sat in my comfy chair in my PJ's with a nice cup of coffee after a nice long sunday lie in, perfectly content in my own company but looking forward to a coffee with a pal at 4pm. Anways I came across this very interesting article on being alone that might ring some small bells of familiarity with us singletons.

Some interesting old arguments seem to arise whenever this topic comes up, and certainly arise in the article:

Its sad - Interesting one this, thing is, lots of situations are sad; a person living alone may be sad and lonely, but they also might be perfectly happy with their social life and lovely home. Or it can often be a mix of the two - sometimes I do feel a little lonely on my own but the thing is, in todays modern society - within 30 seconds of experiencing this I can be on my way for coffee or on the phone with someone who cares about me. I could also list a multitude of other 'sad' scenarios that have nothing to do with being alone: A wife stuck in the house because her bully partner doesn't like her seeing her friends, a mother with 3 screaming kids and no help, living in a house with housemates who don't like you and exclude you. Life is full of ups and downs and we may sometimes find ourselves in situations we find less than ideal - all one can really do is find the best option available to ones self to get out of that situation, and I might propose that luckily for us: being alone is one of the easiest to alter should we so wish - if I want to go travelling tomorrow, or see my friends, or visit my family, or sleep, or study, or stay exactly as I am, I can do all of these things in a heartbeat. 
Verdict: less sad than many other situations I can think of, and easily remedied if so desired.

"Solitude is unnaturalHomo sapiens is genetically and evolutionarily a herd or pack animal."
Oh they love to cart this one out! evolutionarily we used to hunt our prey, eat only fresh food and die at 30, and lived in groups to offer greater protection from dangerous beasts. We've moved on, this argument is just no longer relevant. 
Verdict: Irrelevant

You're selfish
This one is perhaps the hardest to understand. Similarly to 'it's sad' I can think of many more selfish actions which are far more severe: murder for example, theft, fraud, bullying, lying, cruelty. Not a single person is suffering because I want to live alone, hence I would venture that this one is straight up wrong.
Verdict: Incorrect

Overall verdict: Jeez, what's the fuss man, its not like i'm killing puppies here. Just enjoying my own company.

Happy Sunday all, whoever you're spending it with!



XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment